Friday, September 13, 2013

Do I really need this service?

Do I have to buy the part? When should I pay for the service?


If you use your car to get back and forth, you might not enjoy needing to buy a part or pay for additional service but getting your car maintained should not be a negative thing...

My car is a 2011. Usually all I need is an oil change (I use synthetic, so I can go a little longer between changes). This time around, I needed two filters for my car that totaled about $100.

Although this was not really how I wanted to spend the money, I knew that purchasing the parts would extend the life of my vehicle (I pretty much live in my car), so I was happy to make the investment. I listened to what the service adviser had to say and then I made sure to put aside the funds. I do not always get the part they recommend during that same visit, but the next visit, I work it into the budget.

It is a good idea to go back to the same service provider because they keep a history of your vehicle's maintenance. You can try to keep your own records, but you might misplace the paper work. I keep my records in my glove box, but sometimes it's hard to find the exact record I need, but your service center should have your service details readily available. We keep details records of your vehicles service for over 2 years. After two years, we keep a general record of service visits.



Another benefit of using one service center is knowing early what work you need on your vehicle. If you go to a quick lube every time you need an oil change something else could be wrong with your car that you do not know about, but if you are getting regular service, your adviser can tell you what is "on the horizon." My service adviser told me about the filters the last time I went to get an oil change, but I needed to budget the service in to my expenses, so the next time I needed an oil change, I requested the filter replacements. The service was not past due, so I was able to wait until the next appointment.

Choosing a dealership might be more costly, but it's worth the piece of mind, here's why: if you go to a "non-OEM" service center and the technicians damage your vehicle, you have no where else to go, but, if you get your vehicle repaired at the dealership, you can keep going up the chain until you get your vehicle repaired the right way.

Once you choose to a service center you can be put on their mailing list for coupons and promotions. I was able to get $10 off my service because I went to the website and found their coupon online

I am very thankful for my car, so keeping it maintained isn't "dreadful." Last winter I thought I should check into getting new tires. My service adviser told me I had two tires that were getting close to needing to be replaced and a third that would last a little longer. (the fourth had been replaced under warranty, so it was still brand new). I started to put the money aside. New tires might not be what you really want to buy, but wouldn't you rather buy new tires than get in an accident?


 This tire is showing signs of wear. The tread is gone in some areas. It also has started peeling.


 A new tire has defined tread and no ripping or tearing.

I purchased my car brand new. When I purchased my tires I had 65,000 miles on my car so those tires did a great job for 65,000 miles! Even though tires can be expensive, you are putting a lot on them, so having good tires should be a happy purchase.

If you are anything like me, you NEED your car, so investing in its maintenance will keep it working for you.

I purchased a car in 2002 and told my sons they had better take care of it because they would be driving it someday. My 16 old drives that car now (it does smell kind of funny), but it runs fine because I made sure it had it's regular maintenance. 

If you would like to leave a comment, just click the "No Comments" link below.

You can also call us if you have any service questions: 937-276-5056



No comments:

Post a Comment

We hope this article helped you. Do you have feedback, questions or topic suggestions? Your input is appreciated.